Department of Laboratory and Transfusion Medicine
Services & Procedures
The following Blood products and procedures are available in the department:
- Packed RBCs: Red Blood Cells which have been collected, processed, and stored in bags as blood product units for blood transfusion purposes.
- Fresh Frozen Plasma: This is the liquid portion of human blood that has been frozen and preserved after a blood donation.
- Whole Blood: This type of blood is used for transfusion and is not modified except for the addition of an anticoagulant.
- Apheresis: A technology wherein the blood of a donor or patient is passed through an apparatus which separates out platelets and returns the remainder to the circulation.
- Platelet concentrate or RDP – It is prepared from blood which is subsequently separated into components including PC.