Department of Nutrition & Dietetics
Services & Procedures
The body requires carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, and minerals to maintain healthy organs, bones, muscles, nerves, and to produce hormones and chemicals which are necessary for the proper function of organs in a body. Vitamins and minerals are naturally occurring substances that are essential for the growth and function of the body. By altering diet patterns one can maintain a good health and avoid many health disorders like diabetes, cardiac diseases, etc.
Here are some tips for a balanced diet:
- Balance calories with exercise to manage weight
- Consumption of nutrient rich food such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fat-free and low-fat dairy products, and seafood
- Consumption of fewer foods with high sodium, saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, added sugars, and refined grains
- Include variety of vegetables in daily food take
- Have more fruits
- Have calcium-rich foods
- Go lean with proteins
- Avoid refined grains like white breads and pasta
- Avoid fatty, oily and junk food.